Anyone who owns or has owned a dog knows that man's best friend can be an expert on trying to eat things they shouldn't.
It's therefore important to keep track of the substances that can be dangerous to your dog's health - and even life.
Check out this list, and remember, always contact a veterinarian if your dog begins to get sick!
If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, there are two questions you should ask yourself.
1. What have been the dog itself?
2. How much it has got itself?
Preferably consult with a veterinarian.
Here are 9 known substances that can poison your dog and that you should never give them.
Chocolate can be directly toxic to the dog, as it may contain theobromine and caffeine. How dangerous it is dependent on the amount of chocolate, and the size of the dog. Symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, and increased thirst.
Eating dough is no treat for a dog as it ferments in their stomachs and forms alcohol. The dog can get drunk! If your dog accidentally eats dough, make sure to keep a close eye on him or her, so that they don't harm themself.
Acorns & Nuts
Acorn contains tannin, a substance toxic to dogs. A large dose can be fatal. Symptoms can include fever, fatigue and loss of appetite.
This I did not know, but nuts can be toxic to your dog. This includes salted nuts as well. Beware of macadamia nuts, which can be particularly toxic. Symptoms can include lethargy and bloody stools. May be fatal.
Antifreeze is poisonous to dogs, often even in small amounts. This substance is accessible from car's radiators and washer fluid. Symptoms include increased thirst.
Cocoa contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, and increased thirst.
You shoul dnever give your dogs onions.Both cooked and raw onions contain alicin, which is toxic to dogs. It's difficult to know exactly how much your dog can tolerate if they accidentally eat onion. Symptoms are most typically diarrhea, vomiting, and cramps.
Dogs should never not eat grapes or raisins, as it can lead to acute renal failure in the dog. It does not matter what grapes (red, green, etc), and as few as four grapes can cause your dog to be poisoned.
Too much salt is never a good idea for your dog. Best practice is no salt at all, except what is included in their ordinary dog food.
Xylitol can be difficult to keep track of - it is found in toothpaste, chewing gum, and candy. It can be dangerous for dogs, as it lowers blood sugar levels. Remember not to give your dog anything containing Xylitol.
There were many things on this list, I had an eye on. Please share as more dog owners must take note of it!