Mom sees her kids with little furry animal in park – looks closer and immediately realizes big danger

For centuries, humans have developed instincts and, above all, gained the knowledge to know which animals and other creatures to keep away from. Although most wildlife is completely harmless to us humans, it is important to be on alert when you are out in nature.

That’s what mother Leslie Howe did when she was at a small park with her family.

It had so far been an ordinary day out with the kids — but then she caught sight of a strange furry creature shaped like a ball, reports USA Today.

The mother followed her instincts. And it would turn out to be a very good decision.

“Feels like a wasp sting, but worse”

Leslie was in the park with her baby and two other young children when the “fur ball” caught her attention. It was small and at first sight looked unassuming and harmless, but she instinctively felt the need to stay away. While this story was first reported a few years ago, it’s been spreading online again to help warn all American parents of the danger.

What lay under the fur which was indeed dangerous, and since that day Leslie hopes her story can help warn others to stay clear of the suspect fur ball:  a Megalopyge Opercularis larva, better known as puss caterpillar.

Despite its harmless exterior, the insect contains poison that it can inject. These larvae are found in much of the United States and should never be not touched. Doing so could cause them to stick to you and inject you with their venom.

“It feels like a wasp sting but worse. The pain hits immediately and gets worse after the creature sticks, and can even make your bones hurt. How badly it gets stuck depends on where it gets stuck and how many tags have dug into your skin. People who’ve had it stuck on their hands have reported feeling the pain up to their shoulders and it lasting for up to twelve hours,” ethnologist Don Hall told National Geographic, according to Expressen.

Take a look at the unusual and mysterious caterpillar here:

Please share this article to warn others!