A 13-year-old boy with no apparent underlying health conditions has died after contracting coronavirus, according to reports.
Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab from south London, England, passed away in hospital in the early hours of Monday morning, as per The Guardian. He had tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday, a day after being hospitalized.
A friend of Ismail’s family, Mark Stephenson, said the boy’s mom and six siblings are awaiting the results of a postmortem.
King’s College hospital, where the boy was being treated, released the following statement:
“Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for Covid-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time.
“The death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made.”
As per the 13-year-old’s family, Ismail had started to experience difficulty breathing and exhibited symptoms of having COVID-19.
“He was put on a ventilator and then put into an induced coma but sadly died yesterday morning,” they said in a statement relayed to Stephenson. “To our knowledge he had no underlying health conditions. We are beyond devastated.”
Tragically, it’s said none of the boy’s family could be with him when he died due to the highly contagious nature of the virus.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help his family raise money for funeral costs. It reads: “Sadly he died without any family members close by due to the highly infectious nature of Covid-19.”
By Tuesday evening in excess of £28,000 ($34,000) had been raised, far exceeding the £4,000 ($4,900) target.
Rest in peace, Ismail, we hope you’re in a better place now.
What’s happening all over the world right now is truly terrifying. We must continue to support each other during these times and ensure that we come through this tragedy together.
Share this article on Facebook to send prayers to Ismail’s family.