Black teen Ralph Yarl released from hospital to continue his recovery at home

Ralph Yarl, the teenager who was shot in the head after ringing the wrong doorbell in Kansas City, Missouri on April 13 has been released from hospital.

The 16-year-old, who suffered serious injuries, has incredibly been deemed fit to return home just days after being shot twice – once in the head and once in the arm – by 84-year-old homeowner Andrew D. Lester.

As per reports, officers responded to a home in Kansas City just before 10 p.m. on April 13. There they found Ralph Yarl, who had been shot in the head after going to the wrong address to pick up his siblings. Lester then allegedly shot him again in the arm as he lay on the ground.


As per a GoFundMe page set up by Ralph’s family – which at the time of writing has amassed more than $2,600,000 – the teenager was forced to knock on three other doors before someone agreed to help him. The 16-year-old was rushed to hospital with what authorities described as “life-threatening” injuries before stabilizing.

Yarl’s mother, a nurse, has taken time off work to see to his continued care, while his father, Paul, told the Kansas City Star that his son was “making good progress”.

Last Friday Ralph told a detective who came to visit him in hospital that he had pressed the doorbell of Andrew D. Lester’s home and then waited. His family say he had mistakingly gone to the wrong address to pick up his siblings.

Credit / GoFundMe – Ralph Yarl

“(He) stated the male inside took a long time but finally opened the door holding a firearm. He stated he was immediately shot in the head and fell to the ground,” the detective wrote in the probable cause statement.

Lester, an 84-year-old white man, has since been charged by the police with one count of first degree assault and one count of armed criminal action.

Prosecutor Zachary Thompson said in a statement:

 “My heart goes out to the child and family involved in this case.

“The probable cause statement indicates the rounds were fired through a glass door. As the prosecutor of Clay County, I can tell you there was a racial component to the case.”

As per CNN, Lester told investigators that he was “scared to death” by 16-year-old Yarl’s size, and was concerned that he could not protect himself. The 84-year-old said he was in bed when he heard his doorbell ring and grabbed a handgun before going to answer the door.

According to a detective writing in the court document: “He stated he believed someone was attempting to break into the house, and shot twice (through an exterior storm door) within a few seconds of opening the (main) door.”

Lester is said to have repeatedly expressed concern for Ralph following the shooting.

My heart goes out to this poor teenage boy who did absolutely nothing wrong. Thank God he was able to survive his injuries.

Share this article if you want to wish Ralph Yarl a speedy recovery and to send prayers where they’re needed.