16-year-old dies in cabin on school trip: 9 months later, coroner reveals the nasty truth

In March 2017, 16-year-old Sara died while on on a school trip on Vancouver Island, Canada.

While Sara’s classmates headed over to the dining room to have breakfast, Sara remained in bed.

When they came back, they heard Sara’s alarm buzzing non-stop, but Sara had still not come out of her room.

Medical professionals were called in, but it was too late: no one could save the teenager’s life.

Nobody could figure out how Sara had died. Not until nine months later when the autopsy finally revealed what had killed the perfectly healthy 16-year-old.

Sara had suffered from Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). TSS is relatively rare. It occurs as a result of a bacterial infection and can quickly become life-threatening.

According to the coroner, the culprit bacteria was found on Sara’s tampon.

Posted by Carli Manitoski on Tuesday, 5 December 2017

TSS can be brought on through several ways, such as via an untreated wound — or when inappropriately using a tampon.

Nine months after her tragic death, Sara’s sister Carli Manitoski turned to Facebook to warn the public about the dangers of tampons. Here’s what she wrote.

“PLEASE SHARE THIS:

After 9 agonizing months we have finally got confirmation that my little sister passed away from Toxic Shock Syndrome or (TSS).

Women need to be more educated on this subject, some of you might not even know what TSS is. They say getting TSS is incredibly rare but I know two people that have had it, with one barely surviving and my sister who died from it.

Can it really be that rare? My sister complained of stomach cramps before going to bed and then she never woke up. My beautiful, incredibly healthy sister died because of this so please share, educate yourselves and be cautious whenever using tampons.

There is such little education on this and it needs to be brought to light. Such an unnecessary and tragic thing to happen to such an amazing young lady. I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone else and if this post makes even one person aware and go look up and educate themselves on TSS then I am grateful.

Thank you for reading and please share ❤”

Posted by Carli Manitoski on Tuesday, 5 December 2017

Symptoms of TSS to look out for:

• High fever

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

• Redness

• Red eyes

• Swollen palms and soles of the feet

• Muscular pain

• Dizziness and cold sweats

• Unusually strong smell when removing a tampon

Posted by Carli Manitoski on Tuesday, 5 December 2017

How to prevent the risk of TSS when using a tampon:

• Change your tampon at least every 8 hours.

• Wash your hands carefully before replacing the tampon.

TSS is caused by a toxic substance that produces the staphylococcus bacteria. The bacteria can multiply if it come into contact with human blood for a long time in a tampon or through blood in a wound.

If you think you might be suffering from TSS, immediately seek medical attention — the risk of mortality is high if you do not quickly receive treatment.

PLEASE SHARE THIS:After 9 agonizing months we have finally got confirmation that my little sister passed away from…

Posted by Carli Manitoski on Tuesday, 5 December 2017

Please share this article with your family and friends on Facebook so that more people become aware of TSS and how to prevent it! There is absolutely no reason a single person more should meet Sara’s tragic fate.

 

Read more about...