Ex-Cambridge professor Jason Arday’s friend reveals heartbreaking voice note sent before his death

A friend of former Cambridge professor Jason Arday has revealed that the academic sent heartbreaking voice messages shortly before his death, telling him that he “couldn’t go on.”

Arday, 41, was found dead at his home in London on August 14. His death came after months of public scrutiny surrounding accusations that he had plagiarized portions of his PhD thesis – allegations he denied.

Sir Simon Baron-Cohen, who spoke with Arday on the morning of his death, discussed the academic’s final days during an appearance on BBC Radio 4’s Today program.

According to Baron-Cohen, Arday’s mental state had been deteriorating as he underwent intense criticism over the plagiarism allegations and the wider controversy surrounding his position at Cambridge.

“He was being subjected to relentless scrutiny, including ridicule, discrediting absolutely every detail of his life,” said Sir Baron-Cohen, according to UNILAD, “and he wasn’t coping with the loss of his career, the loss of his reputation, and he felt he couldn’t go on.”

He added: “He used those words in voice notes.”

Arday had recently stepped down from his professorship, saying that “relentless accusations, speculation and public commentary have taken a profound toll on me and on those I love.”

“The campaign of misinformation was too much for Jason”

The controversy surrounding him had grown into a broader public dispute over diversity programs in UK higher education. Arday, who was the youngest Black man to receive a professorship at the University of Cambridge, had also spoken publicly about his experiences growing up with autism.

His family has now accused Arday’s critics of subjecting him to years of abuse following his appointment at Cambridge.

“Jason was subjected to a campaign of sustained abuse for more than three years since he accepted the role of professor at Cambridge University by those who would leave no stone unturned in their quest to undermine him,” the family statement shared with The Guardian said.

“The campaign of misinformation was too much for Jason, who was a gentle man and who always wanted to see the best in everyone.

“We are in shock to have lost this amazing father, partner, brother, uncle and son.

“We won’t comment further at this point beyond asking the press to leave us alone now, and to stop the campaign of harassment which has been waged against Jason and his family for too long.”

Jason Arday

Baron-Cohen also highlighted Arday’s history of disability and described him as a vulnerable person who required support throughout his life.

“At the heart of all of this was a man who’d been diagnosed in childhood with disabilities that included autism and language delay and learning differences,” he said.

“He was a vulnerable child, a vulnerable teenager, and a vulnerable adult, so he needed and deserved safeguarding and support and reasonable adjustment every step of the way.”

The circumstances surrounding Arday’s death have not been treated as suspicious by police.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “A 41-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed and are being supported by officers.

“At this time his death is being treated as unexpected, but is not believed to be suspicious.

“The case is being investigated by officers from the Met’s central south command unit. A file will be prepared for the coroner.”

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has also criticized coverage of the allegations against Arday, saying that the professor had been subjected to a “pernicious public shaming.”

READ MORE