Our cell phones are becoming more and more important in our lives. It seems like for most of us we are constantly checking our phones for texts, emails, or using them for entertainment.
And, of course, it’s great that you can use the map function, check Facebook, and call free of charge all over the world with different apps.
But the cell phone and, above all, how we charge it can sometimes have devastating consequences on our lives.
Many people have their cell phone with them at all times, something that may not be too healthy as sleeping with a phone in your bed can be more dangerous than you think.
Apparently, there’s another downside to that habit besides disrupted sleep cycles.
If you charge your phone at night it can often make your charger hot, sometimes so hot it’s a danger if that charger is near or on your bed.
Two years ago, the Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department uploaded a post on Facebook about how dangerous it can be to sleep with the phone in your bed while it’s charging.
It shows how a charger can get so hot it burns through bedding.
This is something to bear in mind if you have teenagers who charge their phones at night in their room.
”Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your moblie devices,” the fire department wrote.
The following tips, from the fire department, for people charging their mobile, tablet or computer are crucial to keep you safe.
- Keep your device on a hard surface while charging.
- To reduce the risk of overheating, do not use the device while charging.
- Do not leave your device on a soft surface like a couch or bed while charging.
- Replace accessories or other parts that have excessive wear – batteries, cords, etc. – because they can spark and cause a fire.
This is crucial information!
Nowadays we all have so many more electronic devices in our bedrooms, so taking extra precautions to prevent fires is necessary.
Share this story to help spread the word about how dangerous charging your phone in bed can be. And make sure your kids never do it!