Biologically, ants are amazing little creatures. They’re superintelligent, they’re organized, and they play an important role in nature.
But ants can also be annoying when invade your house or apartment. The insects can penetrate your pantry and get into your food and also build colonies just outside your door.
The perfect conditions for an ant colony lies below patio tiles, where they are read to reak havoc on backyard picnics and break into your house through cracks and holes.
And if that’s not bad enough, come species even bite…
Sure, it might be tempting to go nuclear on these little intruders, but there are actually better and more practical ways to send a strong message to unwelcome ants…
Check out the amazing tips below to find out how to get rid of ants!
Ants are sensitive to smells, and in fact, their odor receptors are five times more sensitive than the average insect. So use that knowledge to your advantage!
Although most humans love the smell of cinnamon, ants don’t seem fond of the spice. You can use cinnamon oil or powdered cinnamon to keep ants away.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon / cinnamon oil to 1 cup of water. Dip a cotton ball into the solution and use it to dab areas where ants seem to live and travel. Repeat once a day until the ants disappear.
- Another tip is to leave cinnamon sticks around doors, windows, and other entrances into your house.
- You can also mix cinnamon with water in a spray bottle. Use it to spray anywhere where ants are present.
A huge dose of cayenne pepper could cause ants to hit the road.
- Boil a large pot of water—the bigger the better. Then, add a lot of cayenne pepper to the pot.
- Finally, pour the mixture wherever you see holes, cracks, or ants themselves.
The sour smell of vinegar is hardly something that ants appreciate. And that’s good news, because it means you can clean your patio with a super-cheap ingredient.
Fill a spray bottle with equal parts water and vinegar. Then, add a few drops of lemon juice, another fragrance that ants are repelled by.
Shake the bottle properly before each use and then spray floor tiles or other areas that ants like to travel on. Do this once a day until the ants are gone.
If you’ve found the ant colony, flooding it with water is actually an excellent way to get rid of them.
Pull out the water hose and let it run for about 10 minutes so that the soil is soaked. Repeat daily until the ants disappear.
This trick is much more humane than you’d think: the ants won’t die but will leave your yard!
Ants tend to reappear even though you work hard to keep them away.
How is that? One explanation is that ants leave traces of smell that lead new ants to the site.
- To get rid of these odor traces, take a spray bottle and mix it with half vinegar / half water.
- Throw in a few drops of detergent and spray any holes, cracks, and door frames until you think the traces are gone.
Strong chemicals can effectively get rid of ants, but these tricks can get rid of unpleasant insects without spreading poison around your home.
Please share these tips with your friends on Facebook so they can free their house of ants!
Published by Newsner, please like