Queen Marie Antoinette once reportedly said: Let them eat cake. But now the FDA is warning: do not eat the cake!
The ‘cake’ in question are several of popular brand Duncan Hine’s cake mixes, which are now being recalled due to concerns over salmonella contamination.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced via their website on November 5 that various of the popular cake mixes may contain salmonella.
Duncan Hines Classic White, Classic Butter Golden, Signature Confetti and Classic Yellow Cake Mixes are now being recalled due to potential presence of salmonella.
The bacteria causes food poisoning with symptoms usually beginning 12 to 72 hours after a person consumes food that has been contaminated with it.
It may then lead to one or more of the following symptoms:
- Bloody stools
- Fever that spans several days
In extreme cases, salmonella can ultimately infect your body’s tissues, potentially leading to more serious diseases.
“Five occurrences of illnesses due to Salmonella are being researched by CDC and FDA as part of this investigation,” the FDA’s statement reads. “Several of the individuals reported consuming a cake mix at some point prior to becoming ill, and some may have also consumed these products raw and not baked.”
If you have any of the four below cake mixes in your home, immediately throw them out or return them to the store.
- Duncan Hines Classic White Cake 15.25 oz. (Product UPC: 644209307500) with a best before date of March 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, or 13 of 2019
- Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake 15.25 oz. (Product UPC: 644209307494) with a best before date of March 9, 10, 12, or 13 of 2019
- Duncan Hines Classic Butter Golden Cake 15.25 oz. (Product UPC: 644209307593) with a best before date of March 7, 8, or 9 of 2019
- Duncan Hines Signature Confetti Cake 15.25 oz. (Product UPC: 644209414550) with a best before date of March 12 or 13 of 2019
Consumers can also call the FDA’s consumer care center at 1-888-299-7646 or visit www.duncanhines.com.
Please share this article widely so that everyone is aware of this warning.