His dog died after a day at the beach – now he wants to warn other dog owners not to make the same mistake

29-year-old Chris Taylor suffered a major tragedy this summer.

That was when he and his beloved dog, 7 year old black labrador O.G. went out to enjoy a warm, sunny day. They then took the opportunity to cool off at the beach.

But that’s when the unthinkable happened — O.G. swallowed salt water and died.

“He had such a vibrant spirit. If there was a tennis ball and a stick in a big body of water that’s what he would love to do most,” Chris told Fox News.

Saltwater poisoning can be fatal for dog.

Sadly, Chris Taylor now knows this all too well, after losing his beloved friend O.G. this summer. They were out at a beach near Tampa, Florida to take a swim. But little did Chris know that it would all end in tragedy.

Later that day, Chris noticed that his dog seemed a bit dizzy and disoriented. He also had diarrhea. O.G. fell increasingly ill until he was finally forced to be put down.

“It still feels surreal,” Taylor said. “It doesn’t feel like reality. I [have] to get a grip on that and realize that it is real and he’s gone.”

YouTube/Inside Edition

According to veterinarian Dr. Melissa Webster, every dog reacts differently to saltwater poisoning, making it difficult to control.

“When I brought my puppy to the beach for the first time, I was literally there for only 10 minutes. He was drinking it like it was water in the pool. So for him, 10 minutes was more than enough,” she told Fox News.

YouTube/Inside Edition

Her advice: bring lots of regular drinking water to the beach for your dog and limit their time in the ocean.

Please SHARE this important information further so that not a single dog more is affected by such a tragic and preventable fate. Rest in peace, O.G.