Finnish rescue divers have shared a new theory that may explain how the five Italian divers lost their lives during a deep-water expedition in the Maldives last week.
The accident, believed to be the deadliest diving tragedy in the island nation’s history, happened on May 14 near Vaavu Atoll, where a group of five divers was exploring an underwater cave system.
Hours after they failed to resurface, the body of instructor Gianluca Benedetti was found near the entrance of the cave. The remaining four victims – marine biologist Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, and researchers Federico Gualtieri and Muriel Oddenino – were later discovered inside the cave’s darkest chamber.
New theory about what happened emerges
Several theories have emerged in recent days. Some experts believe the divers may have suffered nitrogen narcosis, while others think strong currents may have pulled them deeper into the cave system.
Another diver also died during the rescue operation. Maldivian rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee reportedly suffered fatal decompression sickness while assisting in the search.
According to Laura Marroni, CEO of DAN Europe, the Finnish divers involved in the recovery operation believe the group may have accidentally entered the wrong tunnel while trying to find their way back out.
The cave system reportedly consists of three chambers connected by narrow passageways. Marroni explained that after entering the second chamber, the divers may have tried to return through a 100-feet corridor, but a rising sandbank likely clouded their vision.
Disoriented and running low on air, the group may then have accidentally entered the third chamber, a section of the cave with no exit.
“Realizing that the path is the wrong one and having little air, perhaps after going back and forth, is terrifying,” Marroni told La Repubblica. “Then you breathe quickly and the air supply decreases.”
Finnish diver Patrik Grönqvist, one of the rescuers who recovered the bodies, described the operation as unforgettable.
“This operation was very sad… I will never forget it,” he told AFP.
Investigators hope GoPro footage will reveal more
Authorities in both Italy and the Maldives are continuing to investigate the tragedy, with Italian prosecutors reportedly opening a culpable homicide investigation.
Investigators are also hoping the divers’ GoPro cameras will help explain what happened during the fatal expedition.
Montefalcone’s husband, Carlo Sommacal, said his wife was an experienced and meticulous diver who would never knowingly put others in danger.
“She would never have put our daughter’s life or that of others at risk,” he said and added:
“Something must have happened down there.”
READ MORE:
- Major twist in Maldives scuba diving tragedy – authorities launch homicide investigation
- How only survivor of deadly Maldives scuba diving trip managed to escape death